Stafford County Public Schools has worked very hard to design and build a division-wide email system that will be beneficial to all staff. These preliminary guidelines are in place to assist each staff member in understanding their responsibilities as an email account holder.
- Use of the Stafford County Public Schools email system obligates the staff member to abide by specific guidelines for use. Please review the following guidelines and observe good etiquette when using the system.
- Your staffordschools.net email account is a public account that is subject to Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requests. As such you should be aware that the content of all system mail is subject to public access. Contact your principal or your building level FOIA or records retention representative for retention requirements.
- Use of an SCPS email account should be for the conduction of school related communications.
- Mass mailings of urban legends, chain mail, virus warnings, jokes, personal business ventures and other mail not associated with school business are not appropriate. This type of mail slows down the network and fills our servers with unnecessary mail (spam). Also keep in mind that using your email account for business transactions often places your email address on junk email or "spam" mailing lists.
- In the event of inappropriate use of the SCPS GroupWise email system the user will be notified that they are not following SCPS email guidelines. A copy of the notification will also be sent to the school Principal and the CTT.
- As personnel are hired or undergo a status change, email accounts will be created or changed as appropriate. Upon a staff member’s departure from Stafford County Public schools, email accounts will be deactivated and deleted from the system. This will be accomplished automatically through coordination between the Department of Human Resources and the Department of Instructional Technology and Information Services.
- Mailboxes will be limited in size; this is necessary to ensure efficient use of server space. You will receive a pop up warning when your mailbox is 90% full.
- Every staff member should archive their mail periodically to ensure long term backup and retention. Standard backup for non-archived mail is approximately 4-6 weeks. Archived mail is retained until employees leave the system unless required for longer retention.
- Please keep in mind that abuse of the email system may lead to recommendation of termination of your email privileges.
- Opening and reading this mail obligates the staff member to acknowledge and to abide by these guidelines. If you choose not to abide by these guidelines please send mail so stating to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any communication regarding problems with the email system should first be directed to your building (school based) CT/T. Problems may also be sent to email@example.com or via telephone @ 658-6599.